Thursday, October 13

Beware of young girls







Beware of young girls
Who come to the door
Wistful and pale of twenty and four
Delivering daisies with delicate hands


I have recently started watching Scream Queens out of interest (Ryan Murphy's work has always intrigued/entertained me, his productions are very into their meta-references) and heard for the first time "Beware of Young Girls" as one of the episode's closing songs.

Interesting tidbit: last year a customer came into work near closing time and seemed intrigued by me, then told me I really reminded him of “a young Mia Farrow” - who this song is about. This enticing charm and universal face I seem to have causes me to easily fit the innocent young-girl-temptress archetype and invoke in others resentment and often a controlling and prickly nature.

Also, I am newly 24 and those are the flowers from my birthday 2 weeks ago.

Interestingly, another young temptress was portrayed by another Mia, Mia Goth: her character in Lars Von Trier’s Nymphomaniac was a wounded, strange, delicate creature, preyed upon with sinister intent; later turning the tables to become the cruel, vile love interest of the initial predator, Jo's formerly beloved.

It's always blamed on the young girl, when the truth is she was let down hugely by her elders and merely became a perfect scapegoat. This behaviour is likely to continue throughout the ages





No comments:

Post a Comment